Welcome To The Brains Trust Blog!

Within this blog, you will find the wonderful ramblings of an eclectic crew of VFX artists, and interesting articles on tech, software, movies & games. Please read on, and enjoy.


Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Before The Video Tutorial There Were...


..books. And dogs. But books are what I was going to ask about.

Anyone know any good ones for compositing?

I've taken a look at Ron Brinkman's 'The Art and Science of Digital Compositing' (which is more about the general process than technique), and CB pointed me to Steve Wright's 'Digital Compositing for Film and Video' (which is technique concentrate).

Any other general theory books worth Amazoning, if that's a verb?


AFTERTHOUGHT: Is it worth talking to Simon R about setting up a library of sorts for Compositing?

6 comments:

  1. I'll have a think about books, but apart from the ones you mentioned the only other ones that I've read were the specific software's manuals, and the 'certified training' books.

    I remember one upon a time there was a Design books library set up. It began with a budget and numerous books were chosen and purchased by one Lil D, and Hux, but the majority of these books have disappeared into the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent read it myself, but I've heard good things about this matchmoving book "Matchmoving: The invisible art of Camera Tracking" - apparently has quite a good selection of examples, and covers 3D tracking and integration with 3D geometry extensively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think I've seen one of those design books floating around. For After Effects I think.

    Thanks for the Matchmoving link Scuzz, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be awesome to have a library set up. However compositing books are pretty scarce to my knowledge, might be hard to build a nice book collection on this topic! To date, books mentioned by Simon are the top two resource books.

    If anyone wants to have a read Ron Brinkman's 'The Art and Science of Digital Compositing' it's right on my desk.

    Does anyone want a copy of Steve Wright's 'Digital Compositing for Film and Video.'

    While not exactly a book, Cinefex
    provides an detailed insight behind key scene of recent movies. It's not quite technique-oriented as nominated books but still a good read !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jarett, I've got a copy, but I'm still mulling through it at the moment. Once I'm done I'll leave it at work for general use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet. I still have a digital copy of both titles, the thing is these files were stored on my fried firewire Mac G5. Otherwise, I'll check them in a common folder for everyone's bedtime reading with their Mr Node the teddy bear.

    ReplyDelete